Subject: SGI version, native?
From: Donald Drennan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 18:53:56 -0400 (EDT)

This is posted to anyone who knows about the SGI version, especially
people who work for either Newtek or Xaos or have heard directly from the
horse's mouth. (and anyone else who cares about the SGI version)

I am currently giving Lightwave fro SGI a trial by fire.

My dealer told me that it was not yet "native" to the SGI.
Does anyone know if this is true and what exactly is meant by that?

I have noticed that some of the windows don't update like they should.
The wireframe preview is smoother on my 16mHz Amiga 3000. It is jerky and
slow on the SGI and I am always terrified that it is going to cause a
major crash when I use it because when I push "end preview" it just sits
there for 30 seconds to a minute before the screen clears.

Also, when test rendering, the screen takes a while to go away when I
close it.  This process is very slow. I should be able to directly back to
the main Lightwave screen immediately with one key press as hitting
"escape" on the Toaster does. Having to click close for two windows take
way too long. How does this work in the NT version? do these viewing
windows "multitask"? Can changes be made to the scene while still viewing
the preview window?

Will the SGI version have realtime phong shading when it takes advantage
of the Open GL? Will this also speed up the wireframe preview?
Is this definitely going to happen? 

Thanks in advance!

Don Drennan
SOS Productions
Columbus Ohio
614-221-0966

--
Donald Drennan <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]